I'm working on a pair of steampunk boots for my costume. Not completely finished, as I still have to complete the left boot, but the right boot is finished. Top left shows a collection of little bags and pouches that I'll be using with my costume. The biggest one I bought off eBay; it came with some brown nylon straps to go around the waist and upper thigh, but I'll be substituting with some leather straps or old belts. The littlest one I actually made myself, using scraps from an old jacket. Not sure what I'll use it for yet. The others I bought at Goodwill. The orangey-brown one in the upper right is the one I used on the right boot, because I really wanted a pocket on at least one of the boots.
Upper right is a pair of earrings that I intended to remake into new earrings, but then realized they'd look really cool on my boots! I painted them coppery bronze and substituted some pretty teal beads for the boring black/grey rhinestones, and then sewed them on the sides of my boots, as you can see in the finished product.
Middle left is the boots (another thrift store find) before I refinished them, next to my cat, Elvira. She will not actually be part of my costume. :-] I decided I didn't like the plain brown, so I sponged on some of my multi-purpose paints in black and dark brown, and my trusty--and very old--Bob Ross foliage brush. I think I bought it when he was still on TV! Sadly, the bristles are starting to come out. Anyway, I have no idea how well this will work, as the boots are vinyl, and some paints don't stick well to vinyl. I figure if I get a couple wearings out of them, I'll be happy. I made all the decorations to be detachable so that I can switch them to another pair of boots if I have to.
Sorry for the blown-out details on that final image. I'll upload better pics ASAP, I promise!